Skip to main content

The Work Continues

For years, I had noticed the unfinished house beyond Tyalgum. Set against the valley, it looked both permanent and incomplete: a broad timber structure overlooking Wollumbin, ambitious enough to draw the eye and unfinished enough to invite questions.

Then I met the woman who built it.

Visitors reach Shirley Kennedy’s home across sheets of plywood laid over the mud and enter from the side. Across the opening where a formal entrance may one day stand, two large paintings she made while studying art slide into place as protection from the weather.

Inside, reclaimed hardwood beams hold one immense room filled with books, pottery, canvases, photographs, newspaper clippings and preserved catalogues. The house is home, studio, workshop and archive. Its contents are abundant, but not accidental. Shirley knows what she has and why it matters.

Artist Shirley Kennedy with one of the large paintings she created while studying art, now used as a temporary door at her unfinished home. Photo Rada Campbell

Her own path into art was hard won. The seventh of nine children in a farming family, she recalls being told that art was “a joke”. She did not enter university until she was 42. By then she had spent years making art and helping create opportunities for other artists.

Shirley recalls exhibiting at Murwillumbah’s School of Arts, when the district had no permanent public gallery. She says she coordinated a local art prize for more than two decades, preserving the catalogues year by year, and later pressed for prize-winning work to be acquired for a public collection.

The names and dates are not yet neat. “Murwillumbah Art Prize”, “Tweed Valley Art Prize”, “Border Art Prize” and today’s Wollumbin Art Award appear across this history, but may not form an unbroken lineage. The story changed hands, venues and institutions. Shirley’s recollections reach further back than the Gallery’s official opening, and that difference is not something to smooth over. It is a question to investigate.

What is already clear is the breadth of her contribution. Council records place Shirley on the Gallery’s advisory committee, teaching life-drawing classes and funding awards for artists. Her notes also recall advocating for a purpose-built gallery and advising director Garry Corbett on the practical design of its workshop.

Her practice stretches across painting, drawing, printmaking and pottery. Her notes record that, in the 2001 Site Work project, she was one of ten artists who made work at the Gallery site to help fund the new building.

Shirley’s story is larger than a claim to a single prize or building. It is about the less visible labour through which a region develops an artistic life: organising exhibitions, teaching, arguing, sponsoring artists, keeping records and insisting that local work be seen.

This is not a final history. It is an opening portrait, and an invitation to place memory beside catalogues, newspaper archives, Council minutes and the recollections of others.

If Shirley chooses to continue the conversation, those records may reveal a richer account of the Tweed’s cultural history—and of the determined artist who kept so much of it safe.

The house remains unfinished. 

The history may be unfinished too. 

But the work continues...


I took this photograph the first time I met Shirley Kennedy at her home in Limpinwood. That day, she told me explicitly: “You are not writing my biography. I’m writing that myself.”
Shirley sits at the left of the frame, with Sue Kinneally laughing at the centre and Julia beside her. Around us were quiche, fruit, biscuits, mugs, interruptions and stories. I thought I had come to hear about Shirley’s part in the history of the Tweed’s art prizes. I did not yet understand the scale of the life surrounding us—or how much of the region’s cultural history was sitting inside that house.
It was Sue who brought me to Shirley. She recognised the significance of what Shirley had done and understood that her memories, art and carefully preserved records deserved sustained attention. Sue did more than make an introduction: she created the conditions in which trust could begin.
Since this photograph was taken, something extraordinary has shifted. After reading my work line by line, correcting it and testing whether I had truly listened, Shirley asked me to help her write her story. Today, we are beginning to explore what that book might become.
I do not take that invitation lightly. I do not want to take possession of Shirley’s life or impose a neat version upon it. I hope to be a careful vessel: to listen closely, preserve the force of her voice, investigate the history around her and help carry her immense contribution to the Tweed into the record where it belongs.
Whatever comes next, this photograph marks its beginning—the first meeting, the first table, and the first page of what I hope will become something extraordinary.

Popular posts from this blog

The Man I Was Taught to Fear

There are people we grieve twice in a lifetime. Once for who they were. And once for who we were never allowed to know. My father is one of them. When I was a child, my mother told me he was a paedophile. She didn’t whisper it. She didn’t hesitate. She said it plainly, as fact. As warning. As control. When we misbehaved, she would drop us at the greyhound station and force us to spend sleepless weekends with him. I remember the noise of the station. The way my stomach would knot. The terror that would sit in my chest at night when the lights went out. I was absolutely terrified to sleep. He was a workaholic. Twelve-hour days. Long hours. Absence disguised as provision. He would leave cash on the bench, stockpiles of food in the fridge, and the television on - a wild luxury I couldn’t enjoy because fear had already moved in. At home with my mother, we weren’t allowed a TV at all. Looking back now, my father was unemotional, but never unkind. He didn’t ask questions. He didn’t offer hims...

Designing My 2025/2026 Grad Collection

  Rada Priya 25/26' Concept board Fashion has always been a part of my creative soul, but after stepping away for years, returning through my studies has reignited a passion I thought I'd left behind. Now, deep in the concept phase of my 2025/2026 diploma graduation collection, I'm drawing inspiration from the opulence of Paris Couture Fashion Week SS25, particularly the breathtaking craftsmanship of Armani Privé. This collection is about honoring my roots in intricate beadwork while embracing sustainable practices and modern elegance. My design process starts with textiles, and my palette has evolved into a rich tapestry of verdant hues—lush greens, earth tones, metallic blues, and soft greys. Sustainability remains at the forefront, with natural fibres, ethically sourced Thai silk from my travels last year, and upcycled fabrics from local op shops. Faux fur, a treasure from my decade-old fabric collection, adds a layer of texture and nostalgia. Embellishments will include...

Versions, and “Versions”

I’ve already written about  The Wiiyaan   as a journalist. That piece lives in the Tweed Weekly . It’s careful, respectful, measured. It honours Bundjalung origin story, place, and the quiet authority of listening. It was written for a broad audience, many of whom - like me - come from settler families, carrying our own histories alongside the land we now call home. But after filing that story, I knew I wasn’t done. Some stories ask something back from you. This one did. So this is the version that doesn’t fit in a newspaper column. This is the version that explains why that exhibition cracked something open in me - why listening to Kyle Slabb speak about holding  one  version of Country, with care and restraint, felt like a mirror I wasn’t expecting. Kyle spoke about perspective. About how this telling is not  the  story, but  a  story - shaped by lineage, responsibility and law. He was clear, careful, and deeply respectful of other versions held...